Sefalaljia II by Abbott’s, Stewart James(c. 1939,2020) (Submit Review) (Submit Update)
I honestly believe that this one man miniature cabinet routine is far beyond, in merit and effectiveness, anything yet conceived. Certainly the manifestations are out of the ordinary and Mr. James has managed to use several magical principles in a way not originally intended, the absence of complicated preparation in the cabinet will be found quite refreshing. The routine herein should be put into immediate use by many magi. – Ted Annemann
Over the decades James revised the routine many times, incorporating a number of effects into his routine. Eventually he landed on the eight effects described in the manuscript which he named Sefalaljia #2.
This beautiful set is built by the talented builder Rocky Clements exclusively for Abbott’s and what an amazing job he has done. The first thing you need when performing spirit cabinet effects is the items have to look authentic. This box is made from solid oak and has lots of fine details – look at the aged croquet ball, if that doesn’t look like something straight out of Jolly Old England in the late 1800’s what does?
This wonderful effect comes with all of the items required to do some or all of the eight routines described below and also a 33 page manuscript describing each with plenty of photos. The choice of routines are:
- The Ring Thing
- The 5.5 Yard Mystery
- Paul Curry’s Linked
- The Big Bender
- Present Under Glass
My only complaint about this beautiful outfit is the video featured on Abbott’s site just features one of the routines instead of eight or six or four. One is just lazy 🙁 Apart from that this is a great value collectible and certainly worth investing in. I hope to get time in the next few months to do a few more than one out of eight routines for sure.
When they say they don’t make magic like they used, at Abbott’s with the help of Rocky Clements that is no longer true – they are making some great magic and Stewart James would have been very happy with this. Great job guys 🙂
Effect: Limited Edition – Stewart James’ legendary miniature one man spirit cabinet. Ropes and rings link, a large nail bends, a ball rolls out of the cabinet as if moved by the spirits, and objects move about and invert in baffling ways!
Comes complete with beautiful solid oak cabinet, over twenty items to do the routine with inside a zippered canvas carry bag, and a manuscript that not only details the handling, but includes information on other “spook” effects that can be done with the cabinet, and discusses the history of Sefalaljia and its long association with Abbott’s Magic.
Made from solid oak! These are truly collectible pieces. Special ordered knobs adorn the box. Solid brass rod included. A deluxe outfit throughout!
Sefalaljia II comes with all the pieces required to perform the following routine eight part routine:
- The Ring Thing – A shoelace is threaded through the cabinet, its ends extending out holes in each end of the box. A loop is formed in the center of the shoelace inside the cabinet and secured with a safely pin. A borrowed linger ring is now placed in the cabinet and the spirits asked to do their work. When the shoelace is pulled from the cabinet, it is seen that the ring has penetrated the lace and is secured in place by the safety pin.
- Ring-A-Lore – A shoelace is threaded through the cabinet again. Four small, examined brass rings arc then placed inside the cabinet. When the shoelace is pulled from the cabinet, three rings are seen to have penetrated the lace and held in place by the fourth ring.
- The 5.5 Yard Mystery – A solid brass rod is threaded through the cabinet, ends extending out both sides of the box. Two large brass rings are examined and then placed in the cabinet, facing away from the audience. When the cabinet is turned so the open front can be seen, the two rings arc threaded onto the rod.
- Knotabilia – A knot appears in the center of a length of rope while inside the cabinet, although the ends of the rope have been visible outside the cabinet the entire time.
- Paul Curry’s Linked – An additional rope is introduced and the two ropes arc placed through the holes in each end of the cabinet. Only the folded center of each rope is inside the cabinet, the ends of each rope dearly visible outside the box. The folded centers arc lilted out of the cabinet and shown to be separate. Then they arc lowered into the cabinet only for a moment, when lifted back out the centers of the ropes have linked.
- The Big Bender – A large nail is displayed and tapped on the table to prove it is solid. It is dropped onto a porcelain saucer inside the cabinet with a loud clank. When the saucer is removed from the cabinet and tipped forward, the nail slides oil into your hand having been bent completely in half by the spirits.
- Ballistrick – A ball is placed in the cabinet. The open front of the cabinet is covered by a handkerchief and in a few seconds the ball comes rolling out of the cabinet, as if moved by the spirits.
- Present Under Glass – A spectator signs a dollar bill and places it inside a small plastic pill vial. This vial is placed inside a larger vial and placed inside the cabinet. A plastic drinking tumbler is placed on the other side from the nested vials inside the cabinet. The cabinet is covered with a handkerchief. When the handkerchief is removed, the spirits have rearranged the items inside. The vials have moved across to the other side of the cabinet and the tumbler has been turned upside-down over them.
Approx. Price: $650.00 (2022) ***Notice: I am not a dealer and this item is not for sale on this site. It maybe available in the links below or at our sister site: qualitymagicsales.com, but not from here so please do not ask.
© Martin's Magic (unless otherwise stated). All Rights Reserved.