(Subscribe to my YouTube here.)
Magic Puzzle (Tabletop) by Louis Gaynor, Stevens Magic, Harold Voit(c. 2002,2021) (Submit Review) (Submit Update)
The stage version (as seen in the video) of this looks fantastic, but if you can’t afford it or don’t have the space then this smaller tabletop version will work nicely. I’m not sure I prefer this tabletop version to the original Harold Voit release of Merlin’s Magic Elixir – both have their place. But Louis Gaynor does a really nice job in reducing this from the stunning and expensive Stage size, though I still fancy the larger version 🙂
A few other comments:
- Although this looks similar to Winston Freer’s Tile Puzzle, it is not the same method or routine.
- This tabletop version uses a slightly different method than the original Merlin’s Magic Elixir.
- The instructions are confusing because Stevens Magic provide a brief online video of how to perform the basic effect (using the parlor version to demonstrate, not the tabletop version which uses a slightly different mechanism). Then to really confuse you they include the original Merlin’s instructions and routine too, which can be used, but it takes a while to understand the differences. Also the wonderful routine provided in the video and performed by David Goldrake, Puzzle of Life, Is not mentioned once in the instructional video or the printed instructions. Though it is easily the superior presentation for this effect.
To be clear there are currently four basic versions of this Magic Puzzle:
- Merlins Magic Elixir – this was the original version released by Harold Voit.
- Magic Puzzle (Stage) – this is the one shown in the video and also released by Harold Voit
- Magic Puzzle (Parlor) – this is the authorized release crafted by Louis Gaynor for Stevens Magic.
- Magic Puzzle (Tabletop) – this is the version on this page, which is also made under license by Louis Gaynor for Stevens Magic.
None of them use the same method as Winston Freer’s Tile Puzzle, which pre-dates them all.
It would be nice if Stevens Magic had put as much effort into the instructions and marketing of this effect as Louis put into crafting them … 🙂
In a nutshell the basic effect is:
- Show the complete puzzle.
- Show how the wooden frame fits perfectly around the puzzle.
- Tip it out and mix the pieces up.
- Re-assemble it to show the complete puzzle.
- Introduce one extra small square and re-assemble the puzzle to include it.
- Introduce another extra piece, twice the size of the first, and re-assemble the puzzle to include it.
- Show how the wooden frame continues to fit perfectly around the puzzle.
- The end.
Effect: Elegance defined is the best way to describe Harold Voit’s – ZZM’s desktop edition of the Magic Puzzle. Crafted by Louie Gaynor, who is respected and renowned in the art. Several of Louie’s pieces offered on a recent auction fetched well beyond the original price. The effect is without doubt one of the most amazing and if there ever was a definition for beautiful deceptive this effect is that. We believe that you already are aware of the effect but if you’re not please access our website for full details.
We anticipate demand for this desk top unit to be high as it continues to be for the parlor version of Harold Voit’s Magic Puzzle also made by Louie Gaynor. Pay attention to the details because that is exactly what you will find here and nowhere else. Notice the mitered hinges on both the box and the walnut frame. This tabletop model is of the highest quality constructed from Baltic Birch (for the puzzle pieces). The case is also crafted from Baltic Birch and Walnut. The wood frame is constructed from walnut and features a maple corner inlays. These inlays serve double duty – they are aesthetically pleasing and provide additional support for the mitered corners.
Notice the latches applied also resonate style and elegance as well as providing exceptionally secure closure. Each unit hallmarked – LUE. Approx. Dimensions 6 ¼” wide by 6 ¾” tall and 1 ¼” thick. Weight 16 ounces. Solid construction and handmade, as you would expect from a Louie Gaynor piece and with special authorization from Harold Voit to be sold exclusively at Stevens Magic Emporium. Over time there may be changes to the metal hardware due to what is available at production time.
Approx. Price: $255.00 (2021) ***
© Martin's Magic (unless otherwise stated). All Rights Reserved.