Hippity Hop Rabbits by Collectors’ Workshop(c. 1985) (Submit Review) (Submit Update)
The Elusive Rabbits or Hippity-Hop Rabbits was invented by The Great Norman (Norman Hazeldene) c. 1947.
These little beauties from Collectors’ Workshop are still the cutest Hip Hop variation I have seen. Designed by Les Smith of Owen’s Magic over thirty years ago, there still has been nothing created since quite as cute as these little guys. The covers and bases are solid walnut and the gimmicks are well built and function perfectly.
Very hard to come by these days and you’ll love them to display in your collection or to show the grand-kids 🙂
Effect: Every magic buff-every one of you reading this ad-has experienced the phenomenon. It’s the reawakening of that sense of wonderment that gathered you into this craft in the first place. Sometimes it comes back as you enter the local magic shop. Or perhaps it is resurrected by the uncovering, in that dark closet or drawer, of a long lost effect or even an ad or catalogue. Whatever it is, it puts the magic back in magic. The following does it for us:
Consider, for a moment what may be the single finest children’s effect ever created-the Hippity Hop Rabbits. Why so good?
- It’s a visible transposition- the white rabbit obviously changes place with the black. Good, visible stuff. Theatrically, it’s an effect with a true beginning, middle and end.
- These are attractive, comfortable props. Rabbits and hats are magic.
- This is a real audience participation effect. The so-called “sucker” aspect invites (incites?) … interest.
- But mainly, it’s the colors. Black and white become brilliant red and yellow in a truly stunning conclusion .
Now, a secret about this effect. While it caters to the child in all of us, it’s not just for children. Ever watch the adult watching the children watching you? First, all eyes are on you. Then having quickly seen through your clumsy diversion, parents look to their children to see if they caught the ruse. Finally, the focus snaps back as one is confronted with a downright inexplicable conclusion.
But you bought this effect 20 years ago. Why buy it again, now? Because:
- Collectors’ Workshop has built the prettiest close-up set (5 inches high) of rabbits you’ve ever seen. Les Smith of Owen Magic Supreme designed the artwork. We crafted the rabbits and cases from beautifully finished, hand-worked walnut.
- We created an engaging, commercial routine for adults.
- These are, like most of our products, limited edition collectors’ pieces. Each set is stamped and numbered; it becomes an investment in its own right, and a good one at that.
But the real reason to buy these gems is to retrieve, for awhile, that glow that got you in the first place.
Approx. Price: $550.00 (2007) ***
© Martin's Magic (unless otherwise stated). All Rights Reserved.