(Subscribe to my YouTube here.)
Arrow of Truth by Magic Wagon, John M. Talbot(c. 2020) (Submit Review) (Submit Update)
This item from Magic Wagon is inspired by two of my favorite effects: Tony Lackner’s Hand of Cleopatra and John Good’s/Collectors’ Workshop’s Clock of San Marco’s Square. Right up front I would say I would not replace either with Arrow of Truth … 🙁
However, I am referring to the traditional uses of Cleopatra and San Marco’s. Luckily, thanks to the clever guys at Magic Wagon this box can reveal two items, not one. And the always thinking John M. Talbot shows how this feature can be used for more than a nice copy of two classic effects. John has created five effects that are included with the instructions:
- Elementary My Dear Watson – this is closest to how I perform Cleopatra, with an extra twist thanks to the ability for the two reveals.
- Sally Picks a Card – this is my favorite and John really shows you how to squeeze a great surprise, which is a little scary, from an otherwise innocent two reveal system.
- Point The Way – John makes use of some interesting Steampunk cards and a real compass.
- Dead or Alive – The Room goes dark and a scream is heard in the distance 🙂 Need I say anymore, John knows how to have some fun!
- Win or Lose – another novel use of this box as an old gambling device.
I don’t know under what circumstances John gets involved with Magic Wagon’s effects, but I do know when he does the item is significantly better thanks to his clever routines and out of the box thinking. I hope the partnership continues because some Magic Wagon items that start out as nice boxes literally transform into real miracles when he gets involved.
Great job Magic Wagon, and please stick around John 🙂
Effect: The performer shows an elegant wooden drawer box along with a pack of 8 slightly aged element cards. Two cards are then chosen by the spectator with absolutely no force of any kind. The spectator is then asked to shuffle the chosen cards along with the six other ones. These eight cards are then randomly placed face down around the box. Now, a small stand and a wooden arrow are removed from the drawer and placed on top of the box. The arrow is then given a spin and after a few second, the arrow stops pointing to one card. It is of course one of the cards that was selected by the spectator!
The performer then turns all the remaining cards face up and offers to repeat the effect. As the performer spins the arrow, the spectator is asked to name their second card and when the arrow comes to a stop, it is NOT pointing at the correct card! Suddenly, the arrow begins to mysteriously move in the opposite direction! And when it finally stops, it’s found to be pointing directly at the spectator’s other selected card!
- The effect can be repeated with the arrow pointing to different locations!
- The effect is entirely self-contained and requires nothing other than the items seen and used!
- The performer is absolutely nowhere near the performing area during the eerie movement of the arrow!
This beautiful wooden drawer box measures approximately 10.5cms wide x 8.5cms high x 10.5cms deep and has been completely handcrafted from natural aged teak wood with a lightly distressed oil finish.
Arrow of Truth has been inspired by Tony Lackner’s Hand of Cleopatra and John Good’s Clock of San Marcos. Please note that due to the intricate mechanical nature of this prop a small amount of noise is generated, but presentation and handling ideas are included to help mitigate this.
This is unquestionably one of the most elegant and memorable close-up effects, with a great kicker, we have ever produced! The instructions have been written by Mr. John M. Talbot and outline several extra routines which can be performed with “Arrow of Truth.” The mysteries that can be created with this effect are limited only by one’s imagination!
Our special thanks to Mr. John M. Talbot for the effect name recommendation and for writing the instructions and routine ideas.
Approx. Price: $325.00 (2020) ***
© Martin's Magic (unless otherwise stated). All Rights Reserved.